44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Stevo Brock-2
Hi list,

We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz, 64Kbps,
CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
same file produced by ProTools.

Currently we are using the following settings:
Source file 44.1kHz
64Kbps
CBR
Stereo Mode Mono
Quality: 9

which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.

Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
gets worse.

We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
that help our situation?

Sample files are:
-original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
-encoded at lowest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
20Q9.mp3
-encoded at highest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
20Q0.mp3
-ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a_Protools.mp3

-Stevo Brock
  Head of Development
  Monkey Tools
  www.monkey-tools.com

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Manoj Bist
Perhaps you should use -q 2 (this is the default).

-q 0 is the highest quality and -q 9 is the lowest quality.

On 10/19/07, Stevo Brock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz, 64Kbps,
> CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
> same file produced by ProTools.
>
> Currently we are using the following settings:
> Source file 44.1kHz
> 64Kbps
> CBR
> Stereo Mode Mono
> Quality: 9
>
> which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
> artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.
>
> Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
> gets worse.
>
> We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
> that help our situation?
>
> Sample files are:
> -original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
> -encoded at lowest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
> 20Q9.mp3
> -encoded at highest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
> 20Q0.mp3
> -ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a_Protools.mp3
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -Stevo Brock
>   Head of Development
>   Monkey Tools
>   www.monkey-tools.com

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Manoj Bist
Can you include the lame command line that you are using?
By default lame assumes stereo mode, for mono you need to use option '-m m'.

On 10/19/07, Manoj Bist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps you should use -q 2 (this is the default).
>
> -q 0 is the highest quality and -q 9 is the lowest quality.
>
> On 10/19/07, Stevo Brock < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz, 64Kbps,
> > CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
> > same file produced by ProTools.
> >
> > Currently we are using the following settings:
> > Source file 44.1kHz
> > 64Kbps
> > CBR
> > Stereo Mode Mono
> > Quality: 9
> >
> > which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
> > artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.
> >
> > Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
> > gets worse.
> >
> > We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
> > that help our situation?
> >
> > Sample files are:
> > -original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
> > -encoded at lowest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%<http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%25>
> > 20Q9.mp3
> > -encoded at highest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%<http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%25>
> > 20Q0.mp3
> > -ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a_Protools.mp3
> >

> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > -Stevo Brock
> >   Head of Development
> >   Monkey Tools
> >   www.monkey-tools.com

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Bill Kincaid
Interesting.  I looked at these encodings with our analysis tool and the
thing that stands out in comparing the Q0 to Q9 encodings is that the Q9
does no amplifications at all (scalefactors all zero).  The ProTools
encoding also does less amplification (no scalefac_scale use) and manages
the bit reservoir better.

This is probably academic to you unless you are an encoder developer!

One thing you could try is downsampling to 22.050.  For voice recording that
should be plenty of bandwidth and it will let the encoder use the bits more
efficiently.

Cheers,
-Bill

> From: Stevo Brock <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:35:25 -0700
> To: MP3 encoders development list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [mp3encoder] 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question
>
> Hi list,
>
> We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz, 64Kbps,
> CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
> same file produced by ProTools.
>
> Currently we are using the following settings:
> Source file 44.1kHz
> 64Kbps
> CBR
> Stereo Mode Mono
> Quality: 9
>
> which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
> artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.
>
> Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
> gets worse.
>
> We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
> that help our situation?
>
> Sample files are:
> -original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
> -encoded at lowest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
> 20Q9.mp3
> -encoded at highest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
> 20Q0.mp3
> -ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a_Protools.mp3
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -Stevo Brock
>   Head of Development
>   Monkey Tools
>   www.monkey-tools.com

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Jaroslav Lukesh

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Stevo Brock-2
And in fact that is what is interesting.  -q 9 gives the best
results.  -q0 creates strange artifacts in the file.

-Stevo

On Oct 19, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Manoj Bist wrote:

> Perhaps you should use -q 2 (this is the default).
>
> -q 0 is the highest quality and -q 9 is the lowest quality.
>
> On 10/19/07, Stevo Brock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz, 64Kbps,
>> CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
>> same file produced by ProTools.
>>
>> Currently we are using the following settings:
>> Source file 44.1kHz
>> 64Kbps
>> CBR
>> Stereo Mode Mono
>> Quality: 9
>>
>> which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
>> artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.
>>
>> Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
>> gets worse.
>>
>> We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
>> that help our situation?
>>
>> Sample files are:
>> -original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
>> -encoded at lowest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
>> 20Q9.mp3
>> -encoded at highest quality: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/
>> 01_11a%
>> 20Q0.mp3
>> -ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/
>> 01_11a_Protools.mp3
>>
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> -Stevo Brock
>>   Head of Development
>>   Monkey Tools
>>   www.monkey-tools.com

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Robert Hegemann
Hello Stevo,

Am Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007 21:35 schrieb Stevo Brock:
> Hi list,
>
> We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz, 64Kbps,
> CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
> same file produced by ProTools.

how about this, it uses similar lowpass as ProTools:

 lame --lowpass 13.6 01_11a.wav maybe_1.mp3

or for a VBR file (*)

 lame -V5 01_11a.wav maybe_2.mp3

or for another VBR file (*)

 lame -V5 --vbr-new 01_11a.wav maybe_3.mp3

(*) If it has to be CBR, you may try this too:

 lame -V5 -b64 -F 01_11a.wav maybe_4.mp3

> Currently we are using the following settings:
> Source file 44.1kHz
> 64Kbps
> CBR
> Stereo Mode Mono
> Quality: 9
>
> which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
> artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.
>
> Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
> gets worse.
>
> We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
> that help our situation?
>
> Sample files are:
> -original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
> -encoded at lowest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
> 20Q9.mp3
> -encoded at highest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
> 20Q0.mp3
> -ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a_Protools.mp3
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -Stevo Brock
>   Head of Development
>   Monkey Tools
>   www.monkey-tools.com

Ciao Robert

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Stevo Brock-2
Thanks for that info.  It is interesting.  I have tried lowering the
sample rate, upping the bitrate, and changing to VBR, all with great
results.  Unfortunately, the customer we are working with has hard
client requirements and isn't able to budge.

-Stevo Brock
  Head of Development
  Monkey Tools
  www.monkey-tools.com

On Oct 19, 2007, at 1:17 PM, Bill Kincaid wrote:

> Interesting.  I looked at these encodings with our analysis tool
> and the
> thing that stands out in comparing the Q0 to Q9 encodings is that
> the Q9
> does no amplifications at all (scalefactors all zero).  The ProTools
> encoding also does less amplification (no scalefac_scale use) and
> manages
> the bit reservoir better.
>
> This is probably academic to you unless you are an encoder developer!
>
> One thing you could try is downsampling to 22.050.  For voice
> recording that
> should be plenty of bandwidth and it will let the encoder use the
> bits more
> efficiently.
>
> Cheers,
> -Bill
>

>> From: Stevo Brock <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:35:25 -0700
>> To: MP3 encoders development list <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [mp3encoder] 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz, 64Kbps,
>> CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
>> same file produced by ProTools.
>>
>> Currently we are using the following settings:
>> Source file 44.1kHz
>> 64Kbps
>> CBR
>> Stereo Mode Mono
>> Quality: 9
>>
>> which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
>> artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.
>>
>> Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
>> gets worse.
>>
>> We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
>> that help our situation?
>>
>> Sample files are:
>> -original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
>> -encoded at lowest quality: <a href="http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%">http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%
>> 20Q9.mp3
>> -encoded at highest quality: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/
>> 01_11a%
>> 20Q0.mp3
>> -ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/
>> 01_11a_Protools.mp3
>>
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> -Stevo Brock
>>   Head of Development
>>   Monkey Tools
>>   www.monkey-tools.com

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Stevo Brock-2
We're not using the command line interface, but the API.  To answer
your question, in this case, we are calling:

                        status = lame_set_mode(mPrivateData->mLameFlags, MONO);

-Stevo Brock
  Head of Development
  Monkey Tools
  www.monkey-tools.com

On Oct 19, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Manoj Bist wrote:

> Can you include the lame command line that you are using?
> By default lame assumes stereo mode, for mono you need to use
> option '-m m'.
>

> On 10/19/07, Manoj Bist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps you should use -q 2 (this is the default).
>>
>> -q 0 is the highest quality and -q 9 is the lowest quality.
>>
>> On 10/19/07, Stevo Brock < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> We are trying to use LAME to encode a WAVE file to a 44.1kHz,
>>> 64Kbps,
>>> CBR mono mp3 file and are having trouble matching the quality of the
>>> same file produced by ProTools.
>>>
>>> Currently we are using the following settings:
>>> Source file 44.1kHz
>>> 64Kbps
>>> CBR
>>> Stereo Mode Mono
>>> Quality: 9
>>>
>>> which gets us pretty close, but there are still some slight audible
>>> artifacts.  The ProTools file has no audible artifacts at all.
>>>
>>> Interestingly, as quality setting is increased, the output actually
>>> gets worse.
>>>
>>> We don't know anything about the advanced acoustic settings.  Would
>>> that help our situation?
>>>
>>> Sample files are:
>>> -original WAVE: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a.wav
>>> -encoded at lowest quality: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/
>>> 01_11a%<http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%25>
>>> 20Q9.mp3
>>> -encoded at highest quality: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/
>>> 01_11a%<http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/01_11a%25>
>>> 20Q0.mp3
>>> -ProTools encoded: http://monkey-tools.com/downloads/
>>> 01_11a_Protools.mp3
>>>

>>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> -Stevo Brock
>>>   Head of Development
>>>   Monkey Tools
>>>   www.monkey-tools.com

Re: 44.1kHz, 64Kbps, CBR mono encoding question

Stevo Brock-2
Hi Jaroslav,

You mentioned the mode parameter tuning of LAME.  That's something I
know very little about.  Is there any overview advice you can give
about that?

-Stevo Brock
  Head of Development
  Monkey Tools