Bug report--Crashing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug report--Crashing

Tzvi Merczynski-Hait
When running lame with the input being a pipe from arecord, and piping the output to ezstream (http://icecast.org/ezstream/) after a few hours the LAME process dissapears (dies). For example,
arecord -f dat -c 1 | /usr/bin/lame -r -s 48 --resample 22.05 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 - - | /usr/bin/ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy.xml > var/log/bcfy.log 2>&1 & Runs fine, until some point where it stops working, (presumably) because Lame has stopped running, while the other 2 commands continue, with ezstream running with high CPU (links below suggest because waiting for input from LAME).
A temporary fix is to frequently check whether LAME is running, and if it quit restart the above commands, but that's not a permanent solution.
This person had the same issue, and reccomended the fix--http://ohnosec.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/2016-May/014103.html as well as here http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_RTL-SDR_Broadcastify#Verify_System_is_running_and_connected <http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_RTL-SDR_Broadcastify#Verify_System_is_running_and_connected>
Running LAME 32bits version 3.99.5, on Ubuntu 16.04 Linux kernel 4.4.0-65-generic
I created this on sourceforge too—not sure what’s most updated contact method.

Tzvi Merczynski-Hait

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcing the Oxford Dictionaries API! The API offers world-renowned
dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
account today to start using our lexical data to power your apps and
projects. Get started today and enter our developer competition.
http://sdm.link/oxford
_______________________________________________
Lame-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lame-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug report--Crashing

eblanca76


Il 07/03/2017 14:17, Tzvi Merczynski-Hait ha scritto:
> When running lame with the input being a pipe from arecord, and piping the output to ezstream (http://icecast.org/ezstream/) after a few hours the LAME process dissapears (dies).

Can you try doing the same process with the latest alpha ?

It seems the lame process crashed for some unknown reason. Now, through the pipe chain, can you
track the duration of encoded data until process disappearing? (1 hour? more?) the more precision,
the better.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Lame-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lame-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug report--Crashing

eblanca76
In reply to this post by Tzvi Merczynski-Hait


Il 15/03/2017 17:34, Tzvi Merczynski-Hait ha scritto:
> The process disappears every about 6 hours and 10 minutes.

Well, this may turn out to be useful.


> It appears I am using the most recent version...

The most recent "stable" version is 3.99.5, but there is newer code (3.100, although they call it
"alpha") on sourceforge site (you can get it using cvs) and the same is mirrored on github in
Rogerio repository ( github.com/rbrito/lame ).
The last commit dates january 2016 but there are several fixes included since 3.99.5 and it may be
worth a try.
Elio



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Lame-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lame-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug report--Crashing

Rogério Brito
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Elio Blanca
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Il 15/03/2017 17:34, Tzvi Merczynski-Hait ha scritto:
>> The process disappears every about 6 hours and 10 minutes.
>
> Well, this may turn out to be useful.

Humm, "sounds like" (no pun intended with an audio encoder) some
counter is overflowing, perhaps.

>> It appears I am using the most recent version...
>
> The most recent "stable" version is 3.99.5, but there is newer code (3.100, although they call it
> "alpha") on sourceforge site (you can get it using cvs) and the same is mirrored on github in
> Rogerio repository ( github.com/rbrito/lame ).

As far as I remember (but I may be wrong here), Robert was working on
sound-quality issues in 3.100.

> The last commit dates january 2016 but there are several fixes included since 3.99.5 and it may be
> worth a try.

Just clone my repo and try one of the several branches... But, if
possible, try running things on a 64-bit platform...


Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito
DebianQA: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Lame-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lame-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug report--Crashing

Tzvi Merczynski-Hait
Thank you for the GitHub link, I was having trouble finding the source code.

Even with 3.100 the problem persists.

Unfortunately I do not have a 64 bit machine that I can test it on
currently.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 at 2:44 Rogério Brito <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Elio Blanca
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Il 15/03/2017 17:34, Tzvi Merczynski-Hait ha scritto:
> >> The process disappears every about 6 hours and 10 minutes.
> >
> > Well, this may turn out to be useful.
>
> Humm, "sounds like" (no pun intended with an audio encoder) some
> counter is overflowing, perhaps.
>
> >> It appears I am using the most recent version...
> >
> > The most recent "stable" version is 3.99.5, but there is newer code
> (3.100, although they call it
> > "alpha") on sourceforge site (you can get it using cvs) and the same is
> mirrored on github in
> > Rogerio repository ( github.com/rbrito/lame ).
>
> As far as I remember (but I may be wrong here), Robert was working on
> sound-quality issues in 3.100.
>
> > The last commit dates january 2016 but there are several fixes included
> since 3.99.5 and it may be
> > worth a try.
>
> Just clone my repo and try one of the several branches... But, if
> possible, try running things on a 64-bit platform...
>
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
> http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito
> DebianQA: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Lame-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lame-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug report--Crashing

eblanca76


Il 20/03/2017 12:21, Tzvi Merczynski-Hait ha scritto:
> Thank you for the GitHub link, I was having trouble finding the source code.
>
> Even with 3.100 the problem persists.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have a 64 bit machine that I can test it on currently.

I created a virtual machine with a similar setup (xubuntu xenial 32 bit, latest updates) and run
both lame-3.99.5 and lame-3.100 alpha with same command and same results.
Encoded more than 200 (two hundred) hours of audio content and no crashes.
Command line used:

$ cat /dev/urandom | frontend/lame -r -s 48 --resample 22.05 --flush -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 -
long_encoding.mp3

Don't know which test setup may make this bug raise.
Elio


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Lame-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lame-dev