Commandline switch not working

DJShowerGel
The commandline switch --noasm does not appear to work. While compressing with the switch, LAME will report all present cpu features and state, for example:  MMX (ASM Used).  This behavior exists in 3.96.1 and 3.97 alpha 10 (21 Mar 2005).  Is the command deprecated or intentionally disabled?

Kudos on the work that's gone into 3.97, encode times on my AthlonXP 3200+ have been reduced dramatically when encoding at -q0!  Before it encoded at 1.075x, now it's 3.517x!  In light of this, how close to "stable" is 3.97a10 ? It would save an enormous amount of time if I knew it was trustworthy not to crash my pc or produce undesired effects.

Thanks for everyone's hard work and contributions to LAME, it is *The* best MP3 encoder on the planet!

Travis McMurry