LAME 3.99.2.5 best VBR settings ?? via command line (for any interested users)

LAME 3.99.2.5 best VBR settings ?? via command line (for any interested users)

Kenneth Allison
Gentlemen:

I started using Lame for Audacity and Foobar 2000 about 1.5 years ago with
often good and sometimes very bad results. So I switched to the command
line and batch files in Windows XP. There are no issues in getting
consistent results this way. However, I have seen enough old and
inconsistent switch(es) information to be confused for a lifetime. Could
someone give me the optimal switch (es) settings for the highest quality
mp3's? I use EAC to extract the .wav files. I had been using the following
switches:
<>
lame -m s -V 0 -q 0 --lowpass 22.1 --replaygain-accurate --silent -b 32
<>
Perhaps "lame V0 -q 0 --silent" is best? At a minimum I think that the -m s
switch setting should go.

I use to be an Acoustic Technician in airborne (P-3 Orion, US Navy) ASW
(Anti-submarine Warfare) That was decades ago. Lastly, I encode mp3's as a
hobby for my / wife own personal use.

Thank you,
Ken Allison

Re: LAME 3.99.2.5 best VBR settings ?? via command line (for any interested users)

Mike Brown
Kenneth Allison wrote:
> Perhaps "lame V0 -q 0 --silent" is best?

Yes, but if using LAME 3.98 & up, the -q 0 is useless in VBR mode.
-V0 --silent is all you need.

The default settings are tuned for optimum quality, especially if you are
using VBR mode (which you are, with -V0)

You posted to the developers' list, more for bug & feature discussion. You
should probably send your follow-up questions to the Hydrogenaudio forums at
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/