LAME license's violation in Android app

Rogério Brito
Dear team,

While taking a peek at a friend's Android phone, I discovered an app that
records sound in MP3 format and it uses LAME as a library to do that.

The app in question is com.app.studio.voicerecord (see:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.studio.voicerecord&hl=en). I
decompiled it and it includes two copies of lame:

$ tree lib/
lib/
├── armeabi
│   └── liblame.so
└── armeabi-v7a
    └── liblame.so

2 directories, 2 files

Unfortunately, they don't have an offer of the source code for LAME (and, in
fact, they don't even mention the use of LAME at all, from a quick glance at
the page mentioned above).

They advertise the app as "The best application for recording, HD quality"
and offer a paid version of the app.

Should I try to contact them so that they do give proper credits *and*
provide the source code for the library? I guess that I'm motivated enough
to proceed with this, but just wanted to let the other members of the
project know and give me their opinion.

Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito

Re: LAME license's violation in Android app

bouvigne
Hello,

I think that it is worth contacting them in a friendly way.

I have to "preliminary" questions:

1- As a matter of curiosity, are current ARM devices fast enough
(floating point computations) to encode in real time through LAME?
2- What is the "usual way" for Android apps to report about open source
usage? (only within the app, or also within the Play store?)

--
Gabriel

On 2016-09-28 09:13, Rogério Brito wrote:

> Should I try to contact them so that they do give proper credits *and*
> provide the source code for the library? I guess that I'm motivated
> enough
> to proceed with this, but just wanted to let the other members of the
> project know and give me their opinion.

Re: LAME license's violation in Android app

Fabian Greffrath
> Should I try to contact them so that they do give proper credits *and*
> provide the source code for the library? I guess that I'm motivated enough
> to proceed with this, but just wanted to let the other members of the
> project know and give me their opinion.

Sure, why not. Might be enough to kindly point them to this page:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/license.txt

 - Fabian