LAME patent question

Simon Gaus
Hello,
i’m currently working on an update for my mac application and i want to implement mp3 encoding.
So after some research i identified two active patents which prevent the „non patent infringing“  use of lame.

Process of low sampling rate digital encoding of audio signals
US, expires February 19, 2017, patent US 6185539

Method and apparatus for encoding digital signals employing bit allocation using combinations of different threshold models to achieve desired bit rates
US, expires April 16, 2017, patent US 6009399

So i thought one could try to strip this functionality from lame.

- disable low sampling rate support
- disable the use of psychoacoustics ( as described in the patent ) even if it will diminish quality

So my question is if there where attempts to make a „non patent infringing“ version of lame ( in recent times as many patents just deprecated).

Best regards,
Simon Gaus

Re: LAME patent question

Mike Brown
On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 12:25:21PM +0100, Simon Gaus wrote:
> So my question is if there where attempts to make a „non patent infringing“ version of lame

Probably not. Psychoacoustics seems like a non-negotiable.