Lame

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lame

Richard-118
would this be the best for sound quality

-q 0 -b 320 -p -m s --noreplaygain

or

-b 320 -p -m s --noreplaygain

---

Thanks -
Rich

_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lame

Alexander Strange

On Nov 8, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Richard wrote:

> would this be the best for sound quality
>
> -q 0 -b 320 -p -m s --noreplaygain
>
> or
>
> -b 320 -p -m s --noreplaygain

Theoretically, -q0, but as nobody ever uses that option you can't be  
sure.

That is a very strange combination of options.
Do you really need 320 CBR? (you don't)
Why full stereo? It's always bad for sound quality.
-p doesn't really matter but most media is reliable these days.
_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lame

Richard-118
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 6:59 pm, Alexander Strange wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Richard wrote:
> > would this be the best for sound quality
> >
> > -q 0 -b 320 -p -m s --noreplaygain
> >
> > or
> >
> > -b 320 -p -m s --noreplaygain
>
> Theoretically, -q0, but as nobody ever uses that option you can't be
> sure.
>
> That is a very strange combination of options.
> Do you really need 320 CBR? (you don't)
> Why full stereo? It's always bad for sound quality.
> -p doesn't really matter but most media is reliable these days.


isn't -m -s means force stereo (L & R) or normal stereo as recorded ?
and why not  -p for error correction ?

Thanks -
Rich
_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lame

Alexander Strange

On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Richard wrote:

>
> isn't -m -s means force stereo (L & R) or normal stereo as recorded ?

-m s forces "full stereo", which is always worse than "joint stereo",  
the default.

> and why not  -p for error correction ?

Nothing really wrong with it, but where are you expecting to get  
errors from?


I'd advise simply --preset extreme if you need maximum quality.


_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lame

Richard-118
Thanks for the quick reply...

on -m s is full stereo what happen to normal stereo ?
don't want joint stereo... bad idea

I know you going to say its great, but its not.
case in point take white rabbit song recorded by Jefferson Airplane back
in the late 60's ( joint stereo ) kill that song, due to the song being faded,
between left and right channel, then inverted... cool effects back then,
Grass Roots, also did that in several of there songs.. as well as the Beatles.

and as for the -p, not all cd's are perfect as per say...
so, thought to have error correction,  ( man we even have error correction
memory chips for computers.. )

Rich



On Wednesday 08 November 2006 7:49 pm, Alexander Strange wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Richard wrote:
> > isn't -m -s means force stereo (L & R) or normal stereo as recorded ?
>
> -m s forces "full stereo", which is always worse than "joint stereo",
> the default.
>
> > and why not  -p for error correction ?
>
> Nothing really wrong with it, but where are you expecting to get
> errors from?
>
>
> I'd advise simply --preset extreme if you need maximum quality.
_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lame

Alexander Strange

On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:59 PM, Richard wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply...
>
> on -m s is full stereo what happen to normal stereo ?
> don't want joint stereo... bad idea
>
> I know you going to say its great, but its not.
> case in point take white rabbit song recorded by Jefferson Airplane  
> back
> in the late 60's ( joint stereo ) kill that song, due to the song  
> being faded,
> between left and right channel, then inverted... cool effects back  
> then,
> Grass Roots, also did that in several of there songs.. as well as  
> the Beatles.

Have you tried that with LAME? It may be true for older encoders, but  
LAME is very, very good.
There should be almost nothing that it messes up on, especially at  
very high bitrates.

You can always test with http://ff123.net/abchr/abchr.html if necessary.

> and as for the -p, not all cd's are perfect as per say...
> so, thought to have error correction,  ( man we even have error  
> correction
> memory chips for computers.. )

Unfortunately, -p doesn't apply to CD copying, but to errors in the  
mp3 file. And it doesn't help correction, only error detection.



_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lame

Richard-118
I did that test, before using my Mac, (now running linux)
and I was the one whom pick abx test 20 plus time correct between the two
joint stereo and no joint... also, that was with lame 3.9.2 or 3.9.5? it was
last year..

but could always pick the artifact that there was a hot spot in mids.,
compare to the original record music

some songs, the midrange was laid back... not forward, due to the recording.

I have to; ( hate to say it, but I am the one with golden ears ),
use to work for dbx expander and compressor company in Mass.
sound engineer. ( used Stax Headphones ) for playbacks.. using dbx encoding.

I have not try lame 3.9.7 beta 1 as of yet..
--
I not interested in saving space... just to get the best recording from mp3,
if not, then I wait for .ogg player from japan that can do what I want.


Thanks --
Rich


_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lame

Chris Holt
So I take it you are doing this for a hardware player?  If so, just get
one with a big HDD and load it up with .WAV files.  I think there is at
least one or two players out there that can play FLAC as well.

Chris

Richard wrote:

> I not interested in saving space... just to get the best recording from mp3,
> if not, then I wait for .ogg player from japan that can do what I want.
>
>
> Thanks --
> Rich
_______________________________________________
mp3encoder mailing list
[hidden email]
https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/mp3encoder