Mp3 Encoder/Decoder MC application

Robert Leiking

Hello there!

I am an engineering student, and I've just started my final year project.
My project is related to Mp3 Encoding and Decoding,
so hopefully someone within this mailinglist can help me:

I want to do some DSP performance tests of a specific microcontroller,
and I've chosen Mp3 Encoding/Decoding as an Example application.
At the start of the project I want to compile an open source Encoding an
Decoding Program into the controller without using any Operating System.
This application should be able to convert raw audio format streams
into the MP3 audio compression format and vice versa.
After the performance measurement, I am going to optimise the code with predefined DSP library routines or hand- optimse it on Assembler level to see the difference in performance behaviour.
So right now I am looking for useful and simple C code which requires the least effort and minimum edits to compile it into the restricted environment of a microcontroller.

My first idea was to use LAME, since it's well maintained and tested.
but it seems to me that the Lame project has huge dimensions and is more focussed on PCs with common Operating Systems. I am afraid that LAME offers lots of features which I cannot use or which are needless for my aim. As I already mentioned, it's just an example application for the main task of checking DSP behaviour of the specific chip.
So, should I look for something else than LAME?

I would appreciate any kind of suggestions!

Thanks!
Robert Leiking

--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Mp3 Encoder/Decoder MC application

tech list
MAD can be another option, but I am not sure how suitable it is for you.
You have not mentioned what kind of platform you wish to port it to. If
you really meant "microcontroller" and not DSP/RISC processor, then you
are going to get real bad performance. Is your processor fixed point? You
would then need to convert all the float code, unless you get some fixed
point version. If you dont mind changing codecs, you can have a look at
FAAC and FAAD, which is for AAC encoding/decoding.

On 10/25/06, Robert Leiking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> I am an engineering student, and I've just started my final year project.
> My project is related to Mp3 Encoding and Decoding,
> so hopefully someone within this mailinglist can help me:
>
> I want to do some DSP performance tests of a specific microcontroller,
> and I've chosen Mp3 Encoding/Decoding as an Example application.
> At the start of the project I want to compile an open source Encoding an
> Decoding Program into the controller without using any Operating System.
> This application should be able to convert raw audio format streams
> into the MP3 audio compression format and vice versa.
> After the performance measurement, I am going to optimise the code with
> predefined DSP library routines or hand- optimse it on Assembler level to
> see the difference in performance behaviour.
> So right now I am looking for useful and simple C code which requires the
> least effort and minimum edits to compile it into the restricted environment
> of a microcontroller.
>
> My first idea was to use LAME, since it's well maintained and tested.
> but it seems to me that the Lame project has huge dimensions and is more
> focussed on PCs with common Operating Systems. I am afraid that LAME offers
> lots of features which I cannot use or which are needless for my aim. As I
> already mentioned, it's just an example application for the main task of
> checking DSP behaviour of the specific chip.
> So, should I look for something else than LAME?
>

> I would appreciate any kind of suggestions!
>
> Thanks!
> Robert Leiking
>

> --
> GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
> NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Mp3 Encoder/Decoder MC application

Robert Leiking

Hi there,

the platform is a microcontroller with dedicated DSP functionality and RISC load/store instruction capability. It supports IEEE-754 floating point data types.
What's MAD all about? Where can I find it?

cheers
Robert

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum:  Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:40:09 +0530
Von: "tech list" <[hidden email]>
An: "MP3 encoders development list" <[hidden email]>
Betreff:  Re: [mp3encoder] Mp3 Encoder/Decoder MC application

> MAD can be another option, but I am not sure how suitable it is for you.
> You have not mentioned what kind of platform you wish to port it to. If
> you really meant "microcontroller" and not DSP/RISC processor, then you
> are going to get real bad performance. Is your processor fixed point? You
> would then need to convert all the float code, unless you get some fixed
> point version. If you dont mind changing codecs, you can have a look at
> FAAC and FAAD, which is for AAC encoding/decoding.
>

> On 10/25/06, Robert Leiking <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hello there!
> >
> > I am an engineering student, and I've just started my final year
> project.
> > My project is related to Mp3 Encoding and Decoding,
> > so hopefully someone within this mailinglist can help me:
> >
> > I want to do some DSP performance tests of a specific microcontroller,
> > and I've chosen Mp3 Encoding/Decoding as an Example application.
> > At the start of the project I want to compile an open source Encoding an
> > Decoding Program into the controller without using any Operating System.
> > This application should be able to convert raw audio format streams
> > into the MP3 audio compression format and vice versa.
> > After the performance measurement, I am going to optimise the code with
> > predefined DSP library routines or hand- optimse it on Assembler level
> > see the difference in performance behaviour.
> > So right now I am looking for useful and simple C code which requires
> the
> > least effort and minimum edits to compile it into the restricted
> environment
> > of a microcontroller.
> >
> > My first idea was to use LAME, since it's well maintained and tested.
> > but it seems to me that the Lame project has huge dimensions and is more
> > focussed on PCs with common Operating Systems. I am afraid that LAME
> offers
> > lots of features which I cannot use or which are needless for my aim. As
> > already mentioned, it's just an example application for the main task of
> > checking DSP behaviour of the specific chip.
> > So, should I look for something else than LAME?
> >

> > I would appreciate any kind of suggestions!
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Robert Leiking
> >

> > --
> > GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
> > NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Mp3 Encoder/Decoder MC application

Alexander Leidinger
Quoting "Robert Leiking" <[hidden email]> (Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:32:15 +0100):

> Hi there,
>
> the platform is a microcontroller with dedicated DSP functionality and RISC load/store instruction capability. It supports IEEE-754 floating point data types.
> What's MAD all about? Where can I find it?

MAD: MPEG Audio Decoder
 http://mad.sourceforge.net/

Bye,
Alexander.