Question abt VBR

howard chen
I have a stereo 16 bit wav file sampled at 48000Hz

I use two methods to encode

1. CBR, 128Kbps
2. VBR, 128Kbps, Joint Stereo

When comparing the file size, I have 2 questions

1. Why the file size of VBR is bigger than CBR?

2. Why VBR produce more samples in the output (viewing the properties
using foobar)

3. Will Joint Stereo affect the size?

Thanks...

Re: Question abt VBR

Ishaan Dalal
On 3/19/07, howard chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a stereo 16 bit wav file sampled at 48000Hz
>
> I use two methods to encode
>
> 1. CBR, 128Kbps
> 2. VBR, 128Kbps, Joint Stereo

What are your lame encoding parameters (switches) for (1) and (2)?

2. Why VBR produce more samples in the output (viewing the properties
> using foobar)

Approximately how many more samples does the VBR file have than the CBR
version?

You might also want to look at
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124 for brief
descriptions of lame encoding modes and some suggestions for "good" quality.

Cheers,
-Ishaan

Re: Question abt VBR

Thomas Orgis
Am Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:19:24 +0800
schrieb "howard chen" <[hidden email]>:

> 2. Why VBR produce more samples in the output (viewing the properties
> using foobar)

Can you decode into a wav file and then compare if indeed the resulting size is different?
Perhaps foobar doesn't take the vbr header / lame tag into account in the computation
(which results in 1152 samples of silence for decoders not understanding it)?

Thomas.