Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Rogério Brito
Dear Konstantin,

Since this is a message of general interest to the LAME developers, I am
including the other developers in CC, so that the experience of others can
be shared.

On Apr 23 2015, Konstantin Smirnov wrote:
> I'm a musician from Russia. Can I use LAME encoder for free for commercial
> use to convert my tracks to MP3 (for example, in Cockos Reaper v4.76) and
> later earn on my music?

That's a perfectly fine use of LAME.

> Must I put anything on my Youtube page about LAME if it's inside Reaper
> Cockos?

Regarding LAME, you only have to worry about two things:

1 - If you distribute a binary copy of it, you must also provide the
    corresponding source code that was used to build that binary copy of the
    program. This is a very important point that we, the LAME developers,
    care about.

    If you are only distributing the *output* of LAME (that is, the encoded
    MP3 files), then everything is completely fine and you don't have to
    provide nothing extra. Profit from your work as much as you want.

    In summary: if you providing binaries of LAME, you also have to provide
    the sources. If you don't distribute binaries of LAME, then you have
    nothing to worry about.

2 - The *use* of LAME to encode files as MP3 *may* need licensing, as you
    read on that page.  We, the LAME team, don't really know much about if
    that's needed in your jurisdiction (or other jurisdictions). It may be.

> And concerning commercial use of MP3 - must I have a license from
> mp3licensing.com (http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/emd.html) if I want to
> earn on Youtube video - both for using LAME and MP3 earning? In case of
> earning on Youtube the broadcaster is Youtube, so it seems that I don't
> have to pay and get any license. So for authors nowadays is MP3 free for
> commercial use on Youtube and they mustn't do anything concerning
> MP3licensing.com?

This is a personal view and others may have different experience (their
input is highly welcome here): as long as the files ended up on Youtube,
Youtube will transcode the files to other formats (like AAC and/or Vorbis)
and it shouldn't matter what format you originally used to create your own
music.

If you have any potential doubts about if you have to pay for the licence
(we also have), then, for the case of Youtube, you can simply use Vorbis as
the audio encoder and let Youtube take the trouble with the licensing side
of things.

Hope this helps,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Konstantin Smirnov
Hello, Rogerio.
Thanks for the answer.
You write: "The *use* of LAME to encode files as MP3 *may* need licensing,
as you read on that page. We, the LAME team, don't really know much about
if that's needed in your jurisdiction (or other jurisdictions). It may be.

But is it a Technicolor license that's needed (maybe)? Why there is no
anything on theirs site (maybe because patents for MP3 still active only in
US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3)?
Or it is another company? Do you ever received such questions from another
users of LAME?

> [...]
> input is highly welcome here): as long as the files ended up on Youtube,
> Youtube will transcode the files to other formats (like AAC and/or Vorbis)
> and it shouldn't matter what format you originally used to create your own
> music.
>
> If you have any potential doubts about if you have to pay for the licence
> (we also have), then, for the case of Youtube, you can simply use Vorbis as
> the audio encoder and let Youtube take the trouble with the licensing side
> of things.
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
> http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito
> DebianQA: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Does LAME use file "L3codeca.acm" on Windows 7?

> [...]
>> Youtube will transcode the files to other formats (like AAC and/or Vorbis)
>> and it shouldn't matter what format you originally used to create your own
>> music.
>>
>> If you have any potential doubts about if you have to pay for the licence
>> (we also have), then, for the case of Youtube, you can simply use Vorbis
>> as
>> the audio encoder and let Youtube take the trouble with the licensing side
>> of things.
>>

>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> --
>> Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
>> http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito
>> DebianQA: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Robert Hegemann
Hi Konstantin,

the answer is no.

l3codeca.acm is a MSACM codec filter from "Fraunhofer Institut für
Integrierte Schaltungen IIS". If I remember correct, that's what
Microsoft had as part of Windows for quite some time.

LAME has its own encoding engine.

Ciao Robert

Am 29.04.2015, 16:02 Uhr, schrieb Konstantin Smirnov
<[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>> of
>>> don't
>>> for
>>>
>>> This is a personal view and others may have different experience (their
>>> input is highly welcome here): as long as the files ended up on
>>> Youtube,
>>> Youtube will transcode the files to other formats (like AAC and/or
>>> Vorbis)
>>> and it shouldn't matter what format you originally used to create your
>>> own
>>> music.
>>>
>>> If you have any potential doubts about if you have to pay for the
>>> licence
>>> (we also have), then, for the case of Youtube, you can simply use
>>> Vorbis
>>> as
>>> the audio encoder and let Youtube take the trouble with the licensing

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day,
[The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Konstantin Smirnov
Hello!
Thanks.
Can LAME developers confirm that as non-free versions of dBpoweramp come
with a fully-licensed copy of LAME so I can use it commercially for making
MP3 (and sell files made in dBpoweramp without any additional actions such
as getting license etc., as license for Fraunhofer was paid)?
Is that a special license that allows users not to pay for making mp3 (is
there something on your site about it, on Windows 7)?
As I understand, LAME which one can use with Reaper Cockos and Audacity
doesn't have such license?

Konstantin

> Hi Konstantin,
>
> the answer is no.
>
> l3codeca.acm is a MSACM codec filter from "Fraunhofer Institut für
> Integrierte Schaltungen IIS". If I remember correct, that's what
> Microsoft had as part of Windows for quite some time.
>
> LAME has its own encoding engine.
>
> Ciao Robert
>

> Am 29.04.2015, 16:02 Uhr, schrieb Konstantin Smirnov <[hidden email]
> >:
>
>  Hello, Rogerio.
>> Does LAME use file "L3codeca.acm" on Windows 7?

>>  Hello, Rogerio.
>>> Thanks for the answer.
>>> You write: "The *use* of LAME to encode files as MP3 *may* need
>>> licensing, as you read on that page. We, the LAME team, don't really know
>>> much about if that's needed in your jurisdiction (or other
>>> jurisdictions). It may be.
>>>
>>> But is it a Technicolor license that's needed (maybe)? Why there is no
>>> anything on theirs site (maybe because patents for MP3 still active only
>>> in
>>> US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3)?
>>> Or it is another company? Do you ever received such questions from
>>> another
>>> users of LAME?

>>>  Dear Konstantin,

> There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
> learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day,
> [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Konstantin Smirnov
Also can you provide please the number of patents used in LAME versions
that is used in Audacity and Reaper Cockos. It's interesting for me also as
a developer.

> Hello!
> Thanks.
> Can LAME developers confirm that as non-free versions of dBpoweramp come
> with a fully-licensed copy of LAME so I can use it commercially for making
> MP3 (and sell files made in dBpoweramp without any additional actions such
> as getting license etc., as license for Fraunhofer was paid)?
> Is that a special license that allows users not to pay for making mp3 (is
> there something on your site about it, on Windows 7)?
> As I understand, LAME which one can use with Reaper Cockos and Audacity
> doesn't have such license?
>
> Konstantin

>> Hi Konstantin,
>>
>> the answer is no.
>>
>> l3codeca.acm is a MSACM codec filter from "Fraunhofer Institut für
>> Integrierte Schaltungen IIS". If I remember correct, that's what
>> Microsoft had as part of Windows for quite some time.
>>
>> LAME has its own encoding engine.
>>
>> Ciao Robert
>>

>> Am 29.04.2015, 16:02 Uhr, schrieb Konstantin Smirnov <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>>  Hello, Rogerio.
>>> Does LAME use file "L3codeca.acm" on Windows 7?

>>>  Hello, Rogerio.

>> --
>> There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
>> learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day,
>> [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Roberto José de Amorim
I think it's best if you ask the dBpoweramp developer about whether his program is fully licensed.
      De: Konstantin Smirnov <[hidden email]>
 Para: robert <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
 Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 30 de Abril de 2015 6:22
 Assunto: Re: [Lame-dev] question about commercial use of LAME

Hello!
Thanks.
Can LAME developers confirm that as non-free versions of dBpoweramp come
with a fully-licensed copy of LAME so I can use it commercially for making
MP3 (and sell files made in dBpoweramp without any additional actions such
as getting license etc., as license for Fraunhofer was paid)?
Is that a special license that allows users not to pay for making mp3 (is
there something on your site about it, on Windows 7)?
As I understand, LAME which one can use with Reaper Cockos and Audacity
doesn't have such license?

Konstantin

> Hi Konstantin,
>
> the answer is no.
>
> l3codeca.acm is a MSACM codec filter from "Fraunhofer Institut für
> Integrierte Schaltungen IIS". If I remember correct, that's what
> Microsoft had as part of Windows for quite some time.
>
> LAME has its own encoding engine.
>
> Ciao Robert
>

> Am 29.04.2015, 16:02 Uhr, schrieb Konstantin Smirnov <[hidden email]
> >:
>
>  Hello, Rogerio.
>> Does LAME use file "L3codeca.acm" on Windows 7?

>>  Hello, Rogerio.
>>> Thanks for the answer.
>>> You write: "The *use* of LAME to encode files as MP3 *may* need
>>> licensing, as you read on that page. We, the LAME team, don't really know
>>> much about if that's needed in your jurisdiction (or other
>>> jurisdictions). It may be.
>>>
>>> But is it a Technicolor license that's needed (maybe)? Why there is no
>>> anything on theirs site (maybe because patents for MP3 still active only
>>> in
>>> US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3)?
>>> Or it is another company? Do you ever received such questions from
>>> another
>>> users of LAME?

>>>  Dear Konstantin,

> There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
> learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day,
> [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Roberto José de Amorim
I suspect you're better off hiring a lawyer to analyze what patents are being used in LAME. It wouldn't be legally sound for developers to go around claiming which patents are in use and which aren't.
Roberto
      De: Konstantin Smirnov <[hidden email]>
 Para: robert <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
 Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 30 de Abril de 2015 16:58

Also can you provide please the number of patents used in LAME versions
that is used in Audacity and Reaper Cockos. It's interesting for me also as
a developer.

> Hello!
> Thanks.
> Can LAME developers confirm that as non-free versions of dBpoweramp come
> with a fully-licensed copy of LAME so I can use it commercially for making
> MP3 (and sell files made in dBpoweramp without any additional actions such
> as getting license etc., as license for Fraunhofer was paid)?
> Is that a special license that allows users not to pay for making mp3 (is
> there something on your site about it, on Windows 7)?
> As I understand, LAME which one can use with Reaper Cockos and Audacity
> doesn't have such license?
>
> Konstantin

>> Hi Konstantin,
>>
>> the answer is no.
>>
>> l3codeca.acm is a MSACM codec filter from "Fraunhofer Institut für
>> Integrierte Schaltungen IIS". If I remember correct, that's what
>> Microsoft had as part of Windows for quite some time.
>>
>> LAME has its own encoding engine.
>>
>> Ciao Robert
>>

>> Am 29.04.2015, 16:02 Uhr, schrieb Konstantin Smirnov <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>>  Hello, Rogerio.
>>> Does LAME use file "L3codeca.acm" on Windows 7?

>>>  Hello, Rogerio.

>> --
>> There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
>> learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day,
>> [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Konstantin Smirnov
"I think it's best if you ask the dBpoweramp developer about whether his
program is fully licensed."
It's listed on the mp3licensing.com list of companies licensed.
"It wouldn't be legally sound for developers to go around claiming which
patents are in use and which aren't."
Maybe you can say *does the possibilty of commercial using of MP3 created
with encoder depends ONLY on what patents (algorithms) are used for it, and
whether are they still active in given country?*

> I suspect you're better off hiring a lawyer to analyze what patents are
> being used in LAME.
> It wouldn't be legally sound for developers to go around claiming which
> patents are in use and which aren't.
>
> Roberto
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *De:* Konstantin Smirnov <[hidden email]>
> *Para:* robert <[hidden email]>
> *Cc:* [hidden email]
> *Enviadas:* Quinta-feira, 30 de Abril de 2015 16:58
> *Assunto:* Re: [Lame-dev] question about commercial use of LAME
>
> Also can you provide please the number of patents used in LAME versions
> that is used in Audacity and Reaper Cockos. It's interesting for me also as
> a developer.

> > Hello!
> > Thanks.
> > Can LAME developers confirm that as non-free versions of dBpoweramp come
> > with a fully-licensed copy of LAME so I can use it commercially for
> making
> > MP3 (and sell files made in dBpoweramp without any additional actions
> such
> > as getting license etc., as license for Fraunhofer was paid)?
> > Is that a special license that allows users not to pay for making mp3 (is
> > there something on your site about it, on Windows 7)?
> > As I understand, LAME which one can use with Reaper Cockos and Audacity
> > doesn't have such license?
> >
> > Konstantin

> >> Hi Konstantin,
> >>
> >> the answer is no.
> >>
> >> l3codeca.acm is a MSACM codec filter from "Fraunhofer Institut für
> >> Integrierte Schaltungen IIS". If I remember correct, that's what
> >> Microsoft had as part of Windows for quite some time.
> >>
> >> LAME has its own encoding engine.
> >>
> >> Ciao Robert
> >>

> >> Am 29.04.2015, 16:02 Uhr, schrieb Konstantin Smirnov <
> >> [hidden email]>:
> >>
> >>  Hello, Rogerio.

> others

> v4.76)

> may

> case
> free

> (their
> your

> 4096R/BCFCAAAA
> profiles.google.com/rbrito
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

> Physical-Virtual-Cloud
> Insights
> >>>

> >> --
> >> There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies
> in
> >> learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day,
> >> [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Konstantin Smirnov
"It wouldn't be legally sound for developers to go around claiming which
patents are in use and which aren't."
And this way I can't know is it legal for me to use LAME for commercial use
(for ex., inside Audacity), as I don't know need I pay for license to
Fraunhofer or not.

> "I think it's best if you ask the dBpoweramp developer about whether his
> program is fully licensed."
> It's listed on the mp3licensing.com list of companies licensed.
> "It wouldn't be legally sound for developers to go around claiming which
> patents are in use and which aren't."
> Maybe you can say *does the possibilty of commercial using of MP3 created
> with encoder depends ONLY on what patents (algorithms) are used for it, and
> whether are they still active in given country?*

>> I suspect you're better off hiring a lawyer to analyze what patents are
>> being used in LAME.
>> It wouldn't be legally sound for developers to go around claiming which
>> patents are in use and which aren't.
>>
>> Roberto
>>
>>   ------------------------------
>>  *De:* Konstantin Smirnov <[hidden email]>
>> *Para:* robert <[hidden email]>
>> *Cc:* [hidden email]
>> *Enviadas:* Quinta-feira, 30 de Abril de 2015 16:58
>> *Assunto:* Re: [Lame-dev] question about commercial use of LAME
>>
>> Also can you provide please the number of patents used in LAME versions
>> that is used in Audacity and Reaper Cockos. It's interesting for me also
>> as
>> a developer.

>> > Hello!
>> > Thanks.
>> > Can LAME developers confirm that as non-free versions of dBpoweramp come
>> > with a fully-licensed copy of LAME so I can use it commercially for
>> making
>> > MP3 (and sell files made in dBpoweramp without any additional actions
>> such
>> > as getting license etc., as license for Fraunhofer was paid)?
>> > Is that a special license that allows users not to pay for making mp3
>> (is
>> > there something on your site about it, on Windows 7)?
>> > As I understand, LAME which one can use with Reaper Cockos and Audacity
>> > doesn't have such license?
>> >
>> > Konstantin

>> no

>> others

>> v4.76)

>> as
>> may

>> case
>> free

>> (their
>> your

>> licensing

>> 4096R/BCFCAAAA
>> profiles.google.com/rbrito
>> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

>> Physical-Virtual-Cloud
>> Insights

>> in

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Roberto José de Amorim
Right. We are not supposed to give legal advice. You have to hire a lawyer for that :)

From:"Konstantin Smirnov" <[hidden email]>
Date:Fri, May 1, 2015 at 14:40

> [...]

>> > there something on your site about it, on Windows 7)?
>> > As I understand, LAME which one can use with Reaper Cockos and Audacity
>> > doesn't have such license?
>> >
>> > Konstantin

>> no

>> others

>> v4.76)

>> as
>> may

>> case
>> free

>> (their
>> your

>> licensing

>> 4096R/BCFCAAAA
>> profiles.google.com/rbrito
>> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

>> Physical-Virtual-Cloud
>> Insights

>> in

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

Thanks. At least can you confirm that dBpowerAMP uses your software fully
legal (in all countries (or at least in one))? Or you know nothing about it?
Can you confirm that any of software vendors that use LAME as paid licensed
codec are totally right for commercial use of MP3 created in it (from the
mp3licensing.com point of view)?

> [...]
> >> v4.76)

> the
> copy

> have
> want.

> >> as
> >> may

> from
> >> case
> >> free
> concerning

> >> (their
> >> your

> >> licensing

> >> 4096R/BCFCAAAA
> >> profiles.google.com/rbrito
> >> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

> >> Physical-Virtual-Cloud
> >> Insights

> lies
> >> in
> day,

Re: question about commercial use of LAME

You should ask people from dBpowerAMP, what license they grant to their
customers, and what exactly you are allowed to do with it.

Ciao Robert