Regarding the expiration of MP3 patents

thraex
Hi,

A Fedora user here. I read on the web the archives of this mailing list
and saw there was a discussion about the MP3 patent expiration, so I
subscribed to post a link which, hopefully, will provide some useful
information.

You can take a look at
<https://fedoramagazine.org/full-MP3-support-coming-soon-to-fedora/>.

To summarize, mp3 decoding was included in Fedora last November but
encoding wasn't permitted at that time. Now Red Hat legal provided the
permission to ship full mp3 support i.e. encoding and decoding in
Fedora. In other words, according to Red Hat's legal team, mp3 is no
longer patent encumbered.

Hope this good news will be helpful in some way.

Thank you for your work on this great piece of free software.

Re: Regarding the expiration of MP3 patents

Eric Stargardt
A bit of cynical commentary:  I think largely the patent expiration and what it will mean for LAME is the increased number of Windows applications that roll lame_enc.dll into their package installers, and within a few years everyone will be using severely outdated libraries for encoding.  It may become necessary to step up our game with regards to education, distribution, and perhaps "this software is terribly old, update now!" nag screens. :)
Eric

 Subject: [Lame-dev] Regarding the expiration of MP3 patents
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 5:01 AM