Stereo encoding

Stanislaw Gorlow
I coded a file in stereo at 320 kbps CBR and the two channels are reversed
at the output. I think this is something very essential that should be
fixed.

Keep up the good work,

SG

Re: Stereo encoding

Mike Brown
On Sat, May 02, 2015 at 10:06:47PM +0200, Stanislaw Gorlow wrote:
> I coded a file in stereo at 320 kbps CBR and the two channels are reversed
> at the output. I think this is something very essential that should be
> fixed.

Needless to say, no one has observed this before, and I can't replicate it
now on the command line (lame -b 320 in.wav out.mp3) with LAME 3.99.3.

So, what LAME version, was it the .dll or the executable, and how were you
invoking it?

Just a guess: you were using some other program to feed raw PCM samples to the
encoder. Each sample is four bytes: 2 for the left followed by 2 for the
right. If those first 2 bytes are missing due to an error in the way the data
was being fed into LAME, then the channels will be swapped (and out of sync by
1 / the sample rate).