Use of LAME in commercial iOS application

Use of LAME in commercial iOS application

Anthony Myatt
Hello,

I would like to use the LAME MP3 library in an iOS application that will be sold on the Apple App Store.
Would I be able to get permission to use the library in this manner? I would of course acknowledge this within the application as well as including the license in my application.

I appreciate you taking the time to consider this and I look forward to your answer.

Kind regards,

Anthony Myatt

Re: Use of LAME in commercial iOS application

Mike Brown
Anthony Myatt wrote:
> I would like to use the LAME MP3 library in an iOS application that will be sold on the Apple App Store.

I'm not speaking on behalf of the development project; I'm just a list
subscriber stating what I know from past research into this issue, for
Wikipedia.

All MP3 encoders *presumably* implement patented technology, with the last of
the patents *believed* to be expiring in Dec. 2017. See the informal research
at <http://www.tunequest.org/a-big-list-of-mp3-patents/20070226/> and, as
mentioned in the comments, the alternative list at
<http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/MPEG_patent_lists>.

I don't know whether it's *really* true that the current incarnation of LAME,
when compiled and distributed, infringes any of those patents, but any
business lawyer will tell you "better safe than sorry; get a license."

This uncertainty is why LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder (L.A.M.E. - get it?). It is
officially distributed only as source code, which is (again, presumably) not
infringing any patents.

The Fraunhofer patents are administered by Technicolor, which runs the info
site mp3licensing.com. As per that site, a "PC Software" "patent-only" license
would probably cover a non-Fraunhofer encoder like LAME, as bundled in your
app. The license currently requires royalty payments of 75 cents (U.S.) per
encoder (i.e. each copy of your app that you sell), with a minimum bill of
$15000.00/year.

If you're just a hobbyist expecting to sell only a small number of apps, you
might be able to negotiate a better deal with them...who knows? I'd be
interested to hear what they say.

Re: Use of LAME in commercial iOS application

Alexander Leidinger
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:35:59 +1100
Anthony Myatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use the LAME MP3 library in an iOS application that
> will be sold on the Apple App Store. Would I be able to get
> permission to use the library in this manner? I would of course
> acknowledge this within the application as well as including the
> license in my application.

The license of LAME is available with the source. As long as you comply
with it, all is fine. We can't hand out other license terms without the
OK of all people with a copyright on a part of the source (a lot of
people which we may not even know how to contact anymore).

I'm not sure if you can create an app which complies with the (L)GPL
and the Apple App Store license terms (you better ask a lawyer).

Apart from that see also the info about the patents in another mail.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7