possible encoding incompatibility-lame 3.99.2.3 with Audacity 2.0.5.0

possible encoding incompatibility-lame 3.99.2.3 with Audacity 2.0.5.0

Matt Kinnamont
Hi,

For quite a while now I have been using a 32 bit Windows 7 installation
using Audacity 2.0.3.0 and a version of Lame that I downloaded on 31 Jan
2012 (3.99.4?).

My major use is and has been creating weekly sermon MP3s encoded at 32kbps,
which have been perfectly adequate for loading on our website for almost 2
years now.

However, I wanted to start using my new 64 bit desktop system running Win 7
Ult. I loaded the most recent version of Audacity (2.0.5.0) and the most
recent version of Lame (3.99.2.3).

Problem: On the new machine, my 32kbps encoded MP3s are now coming out
sounding very "chirpy". Even 40kbps sounds chirpy.

I put out a query on the Audacity support forum and got a suggestion that
the Lame application might be my problem. After some testing, I opted to
copy my old lame folder from the 32 bit system and install it into the
programs folder on the 64 bit system, and it seems to work!

I thought I'd drop you all a line to see if you could help me understand
what was causing my problem with the new Lame version.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a novice to much of this stuff, but I'd like to be
less of one.

Thanks,

Matt Kinnamont

Hayward, CA