trouble compressing a mp3 speech

Marty Huntzberry
On other speeches (1 person speaking for an hour) I use LAME to compress like this:

lame -m m -b 24 --resample 22.05 -f input.wav output.mp3

This works fine and produces no static.  I am now trying to take huge 35 MB mp3 files and compress them.  They were previously encoded at a frequency
of 44.1 and a bitrate of 192 KHz.  The files are 1 speaker with a single acoustic guitar intro.  I'm using the previous command with --mp3input and
getting static.

What am I doing wrong?

Marty

Re: trouble compressing a mp3 speech

Robert Hegemann
Am 16.11.2006, 02:14 Uhr, schrieb Marty Huntzberry
<[hidden email]>:

Hello Marty.

> On other speeches (1 person speaking for an hour) I use LAME to compress
> like this:
>
> lame -m m -b 24 --resample 22.05 -f input.wav output.mp3
>
> This works fine and produces no static.  I am now trying to take huge 35
> MB mp3 files and compress them.  They were previously encoded at a
> frequency
> of 44.1 and a bitrate of 192 KHz.  The files are 1 speaker with a single
> acoustic guitar intro.  I'm using the previous command with --mp3input
> and
> getting static.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Does your LAME executable feature decoding abilities?
- verify with: lame --decode x.mp3 x.wav

Are there any unusual warning messages LAME prints?

Maybe there is some typo in the command line you entered?

--

Ciao Robert

Re: trouble compressing a mp3 speech

Marty Huntzberry
I do have --decode ability and it makes a nice wav file that contains no static.  When I resample the wav file at b 24 and 22.05 kHz I get static in
the resulting mp3 file.  I am using Fedora Core 6 on a Athlon 64 and LAME 3.97 for 64 bit pcs.

Marty

 On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:46:58 +0100
robert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 16.11.2006, 02:14 Uhr, schrieb Marty Huntzberry
<[hidden email]>:

Hello Marty.

> On other speeches (1 person speaking for an hour) I use LAME to compress
> like this:
>
> lame -m m -b 24 --resample 22.05 -f input.wav output.mp3
>
> This works fine and produces no static.  I am now trying to take huge 35
> MB mp3 files and compress them.  They were previously encoded at a
> frequency
> of 44.1 and a bitrate of 192 KHz.  The files are 1 speaker with a single
> acoustic guitar intro.  I'm using the previous command with --mp3input
> and
> getting static.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Does your LAME executable feature decoding abilities?
- verify with: lame --decode x.mp3 x.wav

Are there any unusual warning messages LAME prints?

Maybe there is some typo in the command line you entered?

--

Ciao Robert

Re: trouble compressing a mp3 speech

Marty Huntzberry
This resamples without static:

lame -m m -b 24 --resample 22.05 -f --scale-r -2 --mp3input input.mp3 output.mp3

I looked at the audio graph in audacity and realized it was recorded to loud so I took down the volume a little.

Marty