using stdin stdout with lame

robb@boardman.me.uk

Hi All

I'm trying to extract a WAV file from an archive and get lame to encode it into
an MP3 in one process

ie

tar -zxvf rob.tgz | lame - rob.mp3

where /dirpath/rob.wav is in the  tgz file,

is this possible as I can only get an output from lame that is 1.2Kb and is not
an mp3 of the wav

Thanks for your help

Robb

Re: using stdin stdout with lame

Elad Karako
Yes it can be done.

Re: using stdin stdout with lame

robb@boardman.me.uk
could you point me in the right direction, I've tried a few different ways of
extractiing the file and pipeing it into lame but cannot get the syntax right

Quoting Elad Karako <[hidden email]>:

> Yes it can be done.

Steve Swinsburg
When the tgz archive extracts on its own, where is teh mp3. Is it in the
current directory or some other directory?
>From what you said here:

tar -zxvf rob.tgz | lame - rob.mp3
where /dirpath/rob.wav is in the  tgz file,

looks like it will extract into another directory.

If you do the first step only, where does the mp3 file end up?

> could you point me in the right direction, I've tried a few different ways
> of
> extractiing the file and pipeing it into lame but cannot get the syntax
> right
>

> Quoting Elad Karako <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Yes it can be done.

Warren Toomey-2
On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 04:55:02PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> tar -zxvf rob.tgz | lame - rob.mp3

Reading the tar manual:

    tar {-r | -u} -f archive-file [options] [files | directories]

    -O      (x, t modes only) In extract (-x) mode, files will be written to
             standard out rather than being extracted to disk.

So:    tar vxzOf rob.tgz /dirpath/rob.wav | lame - rob.mp3

and then lose the v option because you know that it works.

        Warren

Re: using stdin stdout with lame

Elad Karako
Oak is more convenient for tar extractions and operations on compressed
files.
(..execute command for extraction and another for lame action.)

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 04:55:02PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> tar -zxvf rob.tgz | lame - rob.mp3

Reading the tar manual:

    tar {-r | -u} -f archive-file [options] [files | directories]

    -O      (x, t modes only) In extract (-x) mode, files will be written to
             standard out rather than being extracted to disk.

So:    tar vxzOf rob.tgz /dirpath/rob.wav | lame - rob.mp3

and then lose the v option because you know that it works.

        Warren

http://www.eset.com

Re: using stdin stdout with lame

robb@boardman.me.uk
Thank you all for your help, I used the method proposed by Warren Toomey

I had missed the -O from the tar extraction, but it all works now

Again thanks for your help and advice

this has saved me 1/3 hard disk space as before I had a tar.bz file and
an mp3 store for playback now I can create an MP3 on the fly and only
when the file is requested
Regards

Robb