wav to mp3 conversion, multi-threaded

Tammy Torok
Is it possible to use the lame codec to convert multiple audio files at the
same time?  Thanks.

Re: wav to mp3 conversion, multi-threaded

Rogério Brito
Hi.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Tammy Torok <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it possible to use the lame codec to convert multiple audio files at the
> same time?  Thanks.

Sure. I do that all the time with GNU parallel.

Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito

Re: wav to mp3 conversion, multi-threaded

Tammy Torok

Thanks so much for your response.  I'm new to audio conversion, codecs, etc.
From what I have found, it appears that mp3 codecs cannot convert multiple
files simultaneously.

Does your solution use multiple lame codecs running on multiple machines?

Thanks.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Tammy Torok <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it possible to use the lame codec to convert multiple audio files at
the
> same time?  Thanks.

Sure. I do that all the time with GNU parallel.

Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito

Re: wav to mp3 conversion, multi-threaded

Rogério Brito
Hi, Tammy.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Tammy Torok <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks so much for your response.  I'm new to audio conversion, codecs, etc.

You're welcome.

> From what I have found, it appears that mp3 codecs cannot convert multiple
> files simultaneously.

Currently, the official version of LAME does not support the use of
multiple cores/CPUs to encode *1* single file (that is, use multiple
cores/CPUs to convert 1 file faster with many chunks in parallel).

On the other hand, it *is* possible to use LAME to encode different
files simultaneously, without any problems, as I mentioned that I do
that myself with GNU parallel.

> Does your solution use multiple lame codecs running on multiple machines?

Yes, it does, via SSH. I highly recommend that you visit GNU
parallel's homepage. I think that it may even work under windows (you
didn't mention what you use). For Linux and Macs, that's the easiest
solution that I can think of.

I also ocasionally use GNU parallel to process MP3 files with
mp3packer (running with the -z option), but this takes a *lot* of
processing time and it is, indeed, best if you can use multiple
machines for the task.

Hope this helps,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito

Re: wav to mp3 conversion, multi-threaded

Tammy Torok
Thanks so much.  I really appreciate your help.